Olivier Salad, also known as Russian Salad, is a special salad served on New Year. Apparently when New Year comes Russians every where make this salad. It is also served on big holidays and on weddings. It is originally named Olivier Salad, by the chef that invented it, Lucien Olivier, a french chef that cooked for rich Russians. It is traditionally served as a starter.
Where i come from it is called Boeuf Salad, the name coming from the beef in it. This salad included beef, carrots, potatoes, pickles and mayo. It is pretty easy to do and super tasty. There is no holiday here without Boeuf Salad. Try it out and tell me how it was!
Let's make Olivier Salad
- First of all we have to boil most of our ingredients. The beef goes in a pot along with the peeled carrots. In an other pot boil the potatoes with the peel on. The veggies will boil faster then the meat. When you can easily put a fork through them it means they are done. Remove them from the pot on a plate and let them cool. The meat will boil longer.
- My beef boiled for about 90 minutes, it was pretty stubborn, so after it was done i let it cool.
- While the ingredients cool you can start making mayo. And make a lot of it. I made mayo from five egg yolks. Add more eggs if you want to make some more. Make mayo according to this recipe.
- Now chop the ingredients. They have to be about the same size. Start with the pickled cucumbers. After you chopped them put them into a strainer for all the moisture to drain. Pickled cucumbers leave a lot of moisture and you don't want that into your salad.
- Chop the beef, peeled potatoes, boiled carrots and pickled peppers any size you want. In this particular salad i like them smaller.
- Put all your ingredients in a big bowl. Don't forget to add the peas. I used canned peas so i didn't had to boil them. If you use fresh or frozen ones boil them first.
- Add over the chopped ingredients three teaspoons of mustard and mix very well. After that add half of the mayo and mix. You have to be very careful when mixing because you want all the ingredients evenly distributed.
- Transfer the salad on a nice plate and cover it with the remaining mayo.
- I decorated it with slices of cucumbers and pickled peppers. Use your imagination.
- Let in the fridge for a while before serving.
Enjoy your meal!
Boeuf Salad – Russian Salad – Olivier Salad Video Recipe