Caesar salad is one of the most famous salads in the world. Like any respectable salad it has its own piece of history. The story starts in the early ’20, in America, in the restaurant of Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant that had opened restaurants in America and Mexico. According to Cardini’s daughter, her father invented the recipe after the Forth of July rush depleted the kitchen supplies. Cardini had to manage with what he had left to feed his clients.
Caesar Salad with Chicken Recipe
The original recipe made by Cardini included lettuce leaves, coddled eggs and olive oil. Apparently Cardini was against using anchovy filets in his salad. Time has passed and numerous variations of the salad, using ingredients like croutons, capers, meat and anchovy, appeared.
- lettuce - one head
- chicken drumsticks - boneless four pieces
- bread - a few slices
- olive oil - two tablespoons
- lemon - 1/2 piece
- parmesan - 100 grams
- anchovy fillets - two pieces
- garlic - one clove
- eggs - one piece
- Dijon mustard - one tablespoon
- oil - 100 ml
- lemon juice - two tablespoons
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
Let's make the croutons first:
- Get an oven tray and cover it with baking paper. Cut the bread into cubes and arrange it in the tray. Drizzle the cubes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake in the preheated oven, tossing occasionally, until golden, for about 10 minutes.
- Cut it bite size and season it with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a pan and fry the chicken. When it's cooked take it out on a plate and keep it warm.
- Let's make a bit of mayo first. Using a mixer beat one egg yolk with salt and mustard. After it blended start adding oil from time to time. When the mayo became thick add a few drops of lemon, to your taste. You can find the recipe for mayo here.
- Add over the mayo anchovy fillets, parmesan and the clove of garlic. Use a blender and mix them together in a lovely dressing.
The grand finally:
- Cut the lettuce into ribbons, after you've washed it.
- In a big bowl add over the salad croutons, chicken and dressing. Toss it very well.
Enjoy your meal!