French toast is a very sweet breakfast recipe. It is also known as eggy bread, or gypsy toast. Basically French toast means slices of bread soaked in a sweet egg mixture, then fried and served with all sorts of toppings.
As a sweet dish it is often served with honey, syrup, jams, fruits, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla or cinnamon.
I decided to top my French toast with caramelized bananas and cinnamon.
In almost all the recipes i read about this dish it is highly recommended to use one day "old bread" because fresh bread might absorb too much liquid and break.
I think this is a special breakfast recipe, very tasty, quick to do and kind of high in calories. But it's worth it!
- First of all i made the mixture in which later i soaked the bread. In a bowl i combined eggs with milk, heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla essence. (this mixture with the ingredients above is probably enough for 8 slices of bread)
- Peel the bananas and cut them into quarters.
- Soak the slices of bread in the mixture. Then fry them in melted butter, on both sides, until roasted, for a couple of minutes. Take them on a plate and sprinkle cinnamon on them.
- In the remaining butter from the pan slightly fry the bananas, for one minute, on each side. While the bananas are getting fried add over them brown sugar. The sugar will caramelize a bit.
- Add quarters of banana on each slice of bread. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle some powdered sugar.
- Serve them hot.
- This was my French toast recipe.
Enjoy your meal!