Gingerbread cookies are one of the most popular deserts with both, children and grown ups, on holidays like Christmas. Who there doesn’t know the tale of Hansel and Gretel that were tricked by the witch with the house made of gingerbread. Well i have a recipe with which you can make gingerbread cookies and even gingerbread houses.
If you didn't know gingerbread has its origins in Ancient Rome and Egypt, where there were making cookies sweetened with honey.
The cookie flavored with ginger and cinnamon was originally created in a medieval monastery in Belgium. It was made by monks and offered to sick people for comfort.
Wait and see how easy it is done.
- For gingerbread dough:
- flour - 500 grams
- honey - 350 grams
- sugar - 100 grams
- milk - 3 tablespoons
- butter - 100 grams
- eggs - 1 piece
- cardamom - 1 teaspoon
- cinnamon - 1 tablespoon
- baking soda - 10 grams
- cocoa - 1 tablespoon
- For icing:
- powdered sugar - 700 grams
- lemon - few drops
- eggs - 2 pieces, only egg whites
- food colouring - different colours
Let's make the dough first:
- In a tiny sauce pan add honey, butter and sugar. Put it on the stove top and mix it until the sugar melts. Afterwards let it cool.
- After it is cool add the egg, spices, cocoa and mix very well.
- Add the mixture in a bigger bowl and start adding flour, bit by bit. Whisk very well.
- Right before you finish add baking soda dissolved in three tablespoons of milk. Mix very well.
- By know you should have a very sticky dough. Don't be afraid that's the way it has to be.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge, to harden, for 24 hours.
- After one day has passed divide the dough in half. On a well floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll one half of dough in a thin sheet. It has to be 0.5 cm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter form the cookies.
- Bake them on a tray covered with baking paper, in the preheated oven, for 12 minutes. When the cookies have risen and still pretty soft it is time to take them out.
- Let them cool until you make the icing.
For the icing:
- Mix two egg whites with a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Start blending in the powdered sugar, bit by bit. You are going to make a pretty thick white icing.
- I divided my icing in four parts. One i let it white and in the three others i added a few drops of food coloring. In one blue, in one yellow and in the third, red.
- And now the fun starts. Using the icing start decorating your cookies.
- It is not as easy as you might think. But with imagination and patience you will make beautiful and tasty cookies.
I can admit with all sincerity that my drawing and decorating skills are awful. I hope you can do better than me. Send me photos of your cookies.
Enjoy your meal!
Gingerbread Cookies Video Recipe