Sausages are a delicious invention loved by all. After a quick search i couldn’t really figure out if the Romans, Greeks or Sumerians were the first to make sausages. Apparently it was one of them who figured out 5000 years ago that salt, smoking methods and spices improved the meats taste and preserving. It was a holy moment when they invented the delicious meat filled in casings.
You might not be to eager to buy store sausages because of the fat, preservatives and producing methods used by the meat companies. And i don't blame you. I am going to show you how to make your own home made sausages where you can control everything you put in.
This is the sausages recipe my parents make every time before Christmas. Try it out!
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Yield : 8
- minced beef - one kilogram
- minced mutton - one kilogram
- pork bones - two pieces
- garlic - seven cloves (to taste)
- chili flakes - one teaspoon
- dried thyme - one teaspoon
- ground pepper - eight grams
- sweet paprika - 25 grams
- ground allspice - one teaspoon
- salt - 30 grams (to taste)
- mutton casings - a few pieces
- First of all put the two bones to boil in water. We need to make some stock in order to have juicy sausages.
- Prepare the meat. Mix the two types of meat with the spices and crushed garlic. Stir very well (using your hands; don't be afraid to get dirty) until all the spices blend in. Mix in 250 ml of strained stock. It will make your sausages juicy and easy to fill.
- Taste the sausages and add more spices if needed.
- Prepare the meat grinder. Remove the knife and attach the funnel for filling sausages. I am using a meat grinder with a funnel for filling sausages. You can use a sausage maker if you have one.
- Drain the casings from water and blow air into them to check for holes. I know it might sound grouse but it is not that bad and it is an essential stage. If you really don't want to do this try filling them with water.
- Roll the casings on the funnel and start filling. Tie the end of the casings. I filled the casing for about 7 cm and tied it again. I wanted to make string of many sausages. Continue filling until you finish the meat.
- At the end, when you finished the meat, run trough the meat grinder a slice of bread so all the meat comes out.
- Let them dry over night in a cold place hanging on a wooden stick (like a broomstick or something similar).
Enjoy your meal!
- It will be perfect if you could leave the meat mixture over night in a cold place for all the tastes to blend in. After that make a meatball from the meat and fry it to feel the taste of your future sausages. Do this to be sure the mixture has all the spices it needs.
- The casings must be soaked in water with vinegar to remove the smell and make them whiter.
- Make sausages with the help of a friend. The filling is a two mans job.
Homemade Sausage with Mutton and Beef Video Recipe