Lamb haggis is something similar to a pudding made form lamb innards (spleen, liver, heart, kidneys) and chopped veggies all covered in lamb stomach or dough and baked.
I’ve made a similar Haggis with chicken liver last time. Now it’s with lamb.
Apparently Haggis is a Scotish traditional recipe. This is the Romanian traditional Haggis which is not the same recipe as the Scotish one.
My recipe includes lamb innards and veggies all baked in dough.
Let's see how it's made:
- Boil the lamb heart and liver in two seperate pots filled with water. Let them boil until they are done. Remove the foam as often as possible. Then take them out and let them cool on a plate.
- Meanwhile finely chopp the green onion, garlic, parsley and dill.
- After the innards are cooled chop them in small pieces. For this recipe some people minced the innards using a meat grinder, it's a lot easier and faster, but i prefer to chop them by hand because the haggis has a nicer consistency.
- Mix the minced innards with the chopped greens, add the two eggs, salt, pepper and oil. Mix very well until all the ingredients blended in. Taste the mixture to see if it has enough spices.
How to make the dough:
- Mix the three eggs with flour and salt. Make a nice dough and knead it. Add butter and keep kneading until the butter is absorbed. This dough doesn't have to rise.
- Roll the dough, on a floured surface, using a rolling pin, making a big sheet of dough ( double the size of the tray in which you are going to cook you haggis). I used a loaf tray for my haggis.
- Coat the tray with cooking oil and cover the tray with baking paper.
- Then arrange the dough sheet in the tray, leaving the sides on the edges of the tray.
- Arrange the composition for the haggis in the tray covered with dough. Cover the top of the composition with the sides of the dough. Close everything very well.
- Coat the dough with a beaten egg.
- Bake it in the heated oven for 40 minutes, on low heat.
- After it's done let it cool completely, then take it out of the tray and slice it.
- Serve it cold with fresh radishes, cucumbers and tomatoes.
Enjoy your Lamb Haggis wrapped in dough!