Pork scratchings are a tasty snack or a starter. We serve it around here during Christmas time. It is made by boiling pig fatback until all the fat comes of the meat and all it is left are crispy delicious pork snacks. Where i come from they are called “jumari”.
This snack is found in different cuisines all around the world. We find them under different names in America, Canada, Mexico, Asia, Netherlands, Denmark or France.
Pork Scratchings are a traditional dish that was commonly made when people used to grow their own pigs, at home, for food. Nowadays not many people make them anymore which, in my opinion, is a pity because they are so easy to make and super tasty. Try it and tell me what you think.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 8
- Cut the meat bite size.
- Put it in a pot along with the water.
- Place it on the stove covered with a lid for 10 minutes.
- After that remove the lid and let the meat boil until all the fat comes out of the meat. Mine took about 40 minutes.
- Remove the scratchings from the oil with a slotted spoon. Place the remaining oil in a jar and put it in a cold place. It will become lard which you can use to make cakes and pastry.
- Let the shortenings cool and sprinkle salt.
Enjoy your meal!
Pork Scratchings Video Recipe