Pound cake is a cake traditionally made with a pound of each of the four ingredients: flour, milk, butter and eggs. But since these quantities make too much cake for a typical family there are often changed into smaller quantities.
Anyway everybody has their own way of making pound cake. The recipes differ from cooks to regions and typical ingredients.
In Britain this type of cake is known as “sponge cake”.
I decided to make pound cake with two colors, vanilla and cocoa.
You can make pound cake with different essences, fruits, nuts, it will be delicious i tell you. I think this might be an ideal dessert if you want to spent just 30 minutes in your kitchen preparing.
Let's make some dough:
- First mix butter with sugar and vanilla sugar. This is going to be easier if you keep the butter at room temperature before you start.
- Then start adding eggs one at the time and stir very well before you add another egg in the mixture.
- Mix the flour with baking powder. Start adding the flour, bit by bit, in the mixture.
- Your dough should start to thicken by now so it is time to add milk. Add flour, milk, then flour and so on until you finish the ingredients.
- The dough is ready. Now pour a third of the dough into a bowl and mix it with the cocoa to make the two colors.
- I chose to use to different types of trays for the pound cake. A few round ones and a loaf tray. I coated the round trays with olive oil and covered the loaf tray with baking paper (from these quantities you can make two loaf trays).
- Pour the white mixture evenly between the trays. Then using a tablespoon add cocoa mixture in all of the trays. Divide it equally.
- The final step: using a fork or a toothpick stir in the trays to create an interesting pattern inside the pound cake.
- Bake the pound cake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes at medium temperature. Check if it's baked using a toothpick.
- After it is done let it cool a bit before you remove it from the trays and let it cool completely before you slice it.
- Serve it with powdered sugar on top.
Enjoy your cake!
Pound Cake in Two Color Video Recipe