Pumpkin pie is a famous American and Canadian traditional pie. It is often eaten during the fall and winter, on occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas. The pumpkin is also a symbol of the harvest and a Halloween symbol.
This pie is made with pumpkin puree (obtained by baking the pumpkins), pie crust and spices like ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.
It originates from North America and became a must have dessert of Thanksgiving since the 19 century.
- For the pie dough:
- flour - 250 grams
- butter - 125 grams
- eggs - 1 piece
- salt - a pinch
- water - cold, 70 ml
- For filling:
- pumpkin - 3 pieces
- cream - 300 grams
- brown sugar - 100 grams
- white sugar - 50 grams
- eggs - 3 pieces
- ginger - 1 teaspoon
- cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
- nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon
- cardamom - 1/2 teaspoon
- lemon zest - 1/2 teasponn
First of all make the pumpkin puree:
- Cut the pumpkins in half and scoop out the insides using a tablespoon. Put them in an oven tray with the peel facing the tray. Add water into the tray and cover it with aluminium foil.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for one hour or until fork tender.
Now make the pie dough:
- In a big bowl add flour, cold butter, one egg yolk, a pinch of salt and 70 ml of cold water. Knead very well until the dough binds together.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it until you finish making the filling.
For the filling:
- Once the pumpkins have baked and you've let them cool a bit, scoop out the pulp from the peel using a tablespoon.
- Put the pulp in a bowl and mash it using a fork.
- In another bowl add brown and white sugar, lemon zest, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom.
- Beat three eggs and mix them in the big bowl with the spices and sugar.
- After everything has mixed add pumpkin puree. Mix and add the cream.
- The filling is done, now we can arrange the pie.
- Take the dough out of the fridge, remove the plastic and roll it on a working surface dusted with flour. Roll a sheet as big as your tray. I coated my tray with olive oil and covered it with baking paper.
- Arrange the dough in the tray and pour the filling over it.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for one hour.
- Let it cool and serve it with powdered sugar and whipped cream.
Enjoy your pie!
Pumpkin Pie Video Recipe