I find that refried beans are a very good and nutritious comfort food. Even though they take a while to cook it is a very tasty recipe. Refried beans seem to be very popular in Mexican and Tex-Mes cuisine where they are served as a main dish or accompanied by other ingredients. Also refried beans can be included in tortilla to make a bean burrito or in recipes like tostada or pupusa.
Refried Beans Video Recipe
Refried beans are a popular dish in my country, considered "traditional". Actually in Romania this dish is called "fasole batuta" which can be translated into "beaten beans". Most of the people in my country cook this dish during the Fast period because it is very nutritious and completely vegetarian.
I like my refried beans with a nice portion of fried or grilled sausages.
- Prep Time : 60 minutes
- Cook Time : 02h 00min
- Yield : 6
- Allergens : Carrots
- To make refried beans you should soak the beans (use any beans you like) in water at least over night. This way the beans should boil faster. If you have when, try to change the water from time to time.
- Then put the beans in a big pot filled with water and let them boil for 10 minutes after the water starts bubbling. Put another pot of water to boil with the same quantity of water (it's important to have more not less water) as the one in which the beans are boiling.
- After those 10 minutes have past, drain the beans and throw away the water i which they have boiled. Put them to boil again with boiling water from the second pot. Fill the second pot with water again and boil it. Let the beans boil for another 10 minute then change the water again with boiling water. Repeat this process three times so all the toxins from the beans dissapear. Let the beans boil in the final water for one hour or so, until the beans are boiled. Taste them to be sure they are boiled.
- In the mean time chop the carrot, parsnip, parsley root in big pieces. Don't cut the onion, use one onion hole.
- After the beans are almost boiled add the chopped veggies, onion and bay leaves. and let them boil together until the veggies are very well boiled. When i made this it took 20 minutes until the veggie were boiled. After this i turned the heat off.
- When the beans and the veggies are done, drain them but keep two or three ladles of the water in which they've boiled because you might need to use it later to thin your refried beans. Remove the onion and bay leaves.
- Put the boiled veggies in a bowl and mash them very well using a blender. Mix the mashed beans with two laddles of water in which the beans have boiled. Then add 50 ml of oil, salt and mix very well.
- Add mashed garlic and then slice the three onions you have left.
- Heat the remaining 50 ml of oil in a pan and fry the onions. Let them fry, mixing often, for 7-8 minutes until golden. Then add tomato juice, salt, pepper and paprika and let it on the stove for 5 minutes more.
- Serve the beans with fried onions on top. I prefer to eat my refried beans cold, not warm.
Enjoy yor refried beans!