Sour lamb soup is a tasty, delicious soup that has lamb cuts, all sorts of veggies and greens and sour cereal broth. You can make it with all types of veggies and greens according to your taste.
Traditionally in my country this sour lamb soup it’s made with lamb head. But you have to know how to prepare it and loosen it. Actually you have to be pretty strong to loosen a lamb head, i’m not :d. Next time i’ll make this soup i’ll try to have beside me a strong men to help me.
So for this soup i used typically used veggies for soups and green onion. In the lamb departament i used a couple lamb spare ribs and a few slices of lamb neck, that had enough bones and meat to make my delicious sour soup.
You should be able to find cereal broth at East European shops, or you can make you soup sour with lemon juice and vinegar.
- cereal broth - 1 litre
- onion - 2 pieces
- celery root - 1 piece
- carrots - 2 pieces
- green onion - 1 bunch
- parsnip - 1 piece
- parsley root - 2 pieces
- lamb spare ribs - 2 pieces
- lamb neck - 5 slices
- lovage - 1 bunch
- parsley - 1 bunch
- liquid cream - 100 ml
- rice - 100 grams
- eggs - 2 pieces
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- pepper corns - 1 teaspoon
So...how you make it?
- Wash the meat and try to cut it bite size. The lamb spare ribs might be a little hard to cut so you might need to use a hatchet, or ask your butcher to cut them for you.
- Put the meat to boil in a pot filled with four liters of water. Let it boil for 30 minutes removing the foam as often as possible for a clear soup.
- While the meat boils chop the veggies and greens according to your taste.
- After those 30 minutes add over the boiling meat the chopped carrots, parsnip, celery, white onion and parsley root. Let them boil until soft.
- Then add minced green onion and rice. Let it boil for 20 minutes until the rice is boiled.
- After that it's time to add cereal broth, salt, pepper corns and let it boil for another 10 minutes. After that turn the stove off.
- In a bowl mix the two eggs with cream. Add over this mixture one ladle of hot soup. In this way the eggs and cream mixture will reach the soup temperature and it won't break.
- Add the cream mixture over the soup and mix very well, then add minced parsley and lovage.
- Serve it worm with a hot pepper.
Enjoy your meal!