Hello guys! Today i am going to show you the recipe for one of the best chocolate and strawberry cakes out there. This is all about a cake made from two layers of sponge, with a delicious strawberry cream in the middle and it’s all iced with chocolate.
It’s a little bit laborious to do but if you follow my steps you will make one hell of a cake.
Strawberries are cute springy fruits which fill the markets in may and june. There are many varieties of strawberries out there, some small, some big, sweet or a little bit sour, all of them are delicious.
- For the sponge:
- eggs - 7 pieces
- sugar - 150 grams
- flour - 150 grams
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- milk chocolate - 100 grams
- cocoa powder - 50 grams
- For the syrup:
- water - 200 ml
- sugar - 80 grams
- rum essence - 6 ml
- For the filling:
- strawberries - 500 grams
- liquid cream - 500 ml
- mascarpone - 500 grams
- powdered sugar - 200 grams
- sugar - 80 grams
- gelatin powder - 30 grams
- For the icing:
- dark chocolate - 100 grams
- liquid cream - 100 ml
- butter - 50 grams
- jelly power - 10 grams
- To decorate:
- strawberries - a few pieces
- dark chocolate - 50 grams
First of make the sponge:
- Mix very well the seven eggs with sugar until the sugar melts.
- In a different bowl mix cocoa, flour and baking powder. Add this mixture over the egg mixture, bit by bit.
- After you added all the dry mixture over the eggs, grate the milk chocolate on the small part of your grater. Then add the minced chocolate in the sponge batter.
- Pour the batter into a round tray, preferablly one with detachable edges, coated with a drop of cooking oil. Bake the sponge in the heated oven for 30 minutes, or until it passes the tooth pick test.
- Meanwhile make the cream:
- Chop the strawberries into little pieces, mix them with sugar and put them in a strainer so all the extra syrup drains out.
- Prepare the gelatin. Basically prepare your gelatin according to the instructions on the package you bought. I made my gelatin by mixing 200 ml of hot water with powder gelatin. I've let it a bit on the stove. Don't let it boil because boiling distroys the gelatin.
- In a different bowl beat very well the liquid cream until it becames whipped cream.
- Mix mascarpone with powdered sugar. Over this add whipped cream. Then add chopped strawberries, gelatin and blend everything very well. Keep the cream in the fridge for half an hour.
Make the syrup for the sponge:
- Dissolve the sugar in 200 ml of water and add rum essence. Mix very well until the sugar dissolves completely.
Now assemble the cake:
- Slice the baked and cooled sponge in half, using a bread knife.
- Put the bottom layer on a nice plate. Moist it using half of the syrup you made.
- Arrange the strawberry cream and layer it nicely.
- Add the second layer of sponge and moist it using the rest of the syrup.
- Let the cake rest a bit while you make the icing:
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan add liquid cream, butter and chocolate pieces. Put it on the stove and keep mixing until the chocolate melts. Add gelatin powder and mix very well. After the mixture seems tight turn the stove off. Don't boil it because it will ruin the gelatin.
- Ice the cake and let in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving it.
How to decorate your cake:
- After the cake is cool you can start decorating it. I chose to decorate it with a few fresh strawberries and some chocolate flakes, which i made using a vegetable peeler.
Enjoy your Strawberry chocolate cake!