Strawberry jam is a delicious recipe that goes very well with pancakes, crepes, different types of cakes and pastry, and even on a simple slice of bread with butter. After i made strawberry preserve (which came out great btw) i decided to make strawberry jam to fill out my pantry with delicious strawberries.
Strawberry jam is as simple to make as strawberry preserve, but it's a little more time consuming because you have to chop the strawberries. I say it's worth making it at home instead of buying. It's much better than the one they produce industrially and way more cheaper.
All you need are a few kilos of fresh, sweet strawberries, sugar and lemons.
- Prep Time : 60 minutes
- Cook Time : 01h 20min
- Yield : 12
- Wash very well the strawberries and remove the stems and leaves. Then weight them and use one kilo of sugar per one kilo of strawberries.
- Chop the strawberries. There are a few recipes that advise to take them through a blender but in my opinion the blending process mashes them too much. I like my jam to have a little bit of consistency so i prefer to chop the fruits.
- Put the choped strawberries in a big pot and put the lemon juice over them.
- Put the pot on low heat and let it boil for about 20 minutes. Remove the foam which forms on the surface, from time to time.
- After the strawberries started to boil add all the sugar at once and mix it very well.
- Let the jam boil for another half an hour until it's very well tight.
- To make sure your jam is ready put a few drops on a clean plate. If the drops seem tight and no water forms around them it means that the jam is ready, if the drops seem watery you should boil the jam some more.
- After the jam is ready, take it off the stove and pour it into clean, sterilised jars. Keep them bottoms up until they cool and after that store them in your pantry for winter.
Enjoy your strawberry jam!