Cabbage rolls, also known as stuffed cabbage or pigs in a blanket, are a very interesting and tasty dish. Cabbage rolls are, like they are called, cabbage leaves filled with a meat and spices mixture or with veggies, like the recipe i am about to write right now.
In the Southeastern part of Europe cabbage rolls are most often made with pickled cabbage leaves. You can also make cabbage rolls wtih fresh cabbage leaves, but you must simmer them first.
Cabbage rolls can be found in countries like Romania, Hungary, Poland, Rusia, Sweden, Ukraine, Croatia, Slovenia, Egypt and also in USA, where they were brough by Polish immigrants.
Today i am presenting you my vegetarian, Romanian, Stuffed cabbage rolls with rice and veggies.
- Prep Time : 60 minutes
- Cook Time : 02h 00min
- Yield : 8
- Allergens : Carrots
- First of all prepare the veggies: finely chop the onion, pepper, mushrooms and grate the carrots on the smallest part of the grater.
- Then heat the olive oil in a big pan and fry the pepper, carrots and onion, for 7 minutes. After they've soften add the mushrooms and let them fry for 5 minutes. Add salt, peper and rice and let it fry for 5 minutes. Then turn the heat off.
- Now prepare the cabbage. Remove the first leaves from your pickled cabbage. Take each leave and cut it into a rectangular shape, removing the vines. Prepare like this all the cabbage leaves.
- Take one tablespoon of filling and put it at one end of the cabbage leaf. Then using your hand roll it and tuck in the edges at the end. Proceed like this until you finish all your stuffing.
- Keep a few leaves of cabbage. Slice them and put them at the bottom of the pot in which you are going to cook your cabbage rolls. Over the cabbage add a tablespoon of dried dill, thyme and tomato juice, mix them very well.
- Start arranging the rolls in the pot. On top of them add another layer of sliced cabbage. Pour the rest of the tomato juice, add the rest of dill and thyme and cover all the cabbage rolls with water.
- Cook your cabbage rolls, at medium heat, covered with a lid, for two hours.
Enjoy your Stuffed cabbage rolls!