Hi guys! Today i am going to write the recipe for my favorite holiday dessert. Sweet bread with cocoa and walnuts. In my home it’s not Christmas if we don’t make sweet bread. I am going to show you how my grandma taught me to make it. It’s the traditional way.
I remember so well when i went to my grandma on Christmas or Easter Eve to help her make sweet bread. And she made a lot of it. My role was to hold on to the giant bowl in which she kneaded the sweet bread dough. She kept kneading for like an hour (which seemed more like an workout time). After that she covered the giant dough with a heavy sheepskin coat and kept it in a warm place to rise for a few hours. Then she started rolling and baking all night long. I used to sneak around the bowl and eat small pieces of sweet dough. I think my grandma would've killed me if she caught me lifting the sheepskin of the dough.
Let's make some dough!
- First of all i prepared the leaven. In a bowl i mixed the yeast with a teaspoon of sugar, one tablespoon of milk and one of flour. I made a pretty thick leaven that i let to rise.
- I put in a mixer bowl seven egg yolks with a pinch of salt and the 300 grams of sugar. After everything blended, in a different bowl i turned four egg yolks into foam.
- The leaven has risen. I put all the flour in a big bowl in which i made a little pit. In the pit i added the risen leaven and mixed a bit. After that i started adding egg yolk cream, egg white foam and milk. One at the time, bit by bit until i added all of them.
- All the milk, cream and foam were mixed into the flour so i added butter, at room temperature, vanilla essence and oil. I kept kneading for about 20 minutes. The dough has to be pretty compact and not sticky. If it's sticky add some more flour.
- After i finished kneading i let it rise for three hours, in a warm place, covered with a towel. My warm place was in the kitchen with the stove turned on, to heat the place.
- While the dough was rising i started making the filling. I had to mince the walnuts. For this i placed them between two baking papers and crushed them with a rolling pin. I you have a food processor use that. I mixed the minced walnuts with cocoa powder, sugar and milk.
- The dough has risen so it was time to form the sweet bread. First i divided the dough in three parts (from these three parts i made three sweet bread pieces). Then i divided each part in two parts, making two halves. Using a rolling pin i rolled one half into a sheet. The sheet has to be as long as the baking tray you are using. I used a loaf tray. At one end of the sheet i put two tablespoons of cream and i started coating all the sheet with it until it was covered with cream. Then i rolled it. I did the same with the other half of dough. Making a sheet and filling it with cream into another roll. At this point i had two filled rolls. Then i plaited the rolls making the first sweet bread. I proceeded like this until i had three sweet breads.
- I put them into loaf trays and coated them with beaten egg yolk. I baked them for one hour.
- I let them cool until i cut them. Don't cut them when they are still hot.
Enjoy your meal!
Sweet Bread with Cocoa and Walnut Video Recipe