This recipe will be to the taste of fish lovers out there. Me, being one of them, i simply love a tasty Fish Roe Salad mixed with greed onions on toasted bread. This recipe, Taramasalata or Taramosalata, is popular in Europe where it is served as a dip or salad.
Taramasalata – Fish roe salad Video Recipe
There are many ways of preparing Taramosalata. Some of them include semolina or bread soaked in water. The main reason people use this is to reduce the chances of the roe salad to break. I didn't use bread or semolina and if you follow this recipe you'll have the best Taramosalata. Try it!
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Yield : 4
- The way to make this salad is very similar to making mayo.
- First of all finely dice the onion to have it ready to add over the salad when is done.
- Put the roe into a tall bowl. Using a mixer mix them for about two minutes. After that start adding oil, from time to time, like when making mayo.
- As you add oil you will notice the roe are starting to get thicker and whiter. Now add a few drops of sparkling water. The roe will get even whiter and foamy.
- Continue to add gradually oil, sparkling water and lemon juice, to taste.
- Add extra oil or lemon juice to your taste.
- When you feel it is creamy enough add the chopped onion and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your meal!
- In the end the salad should be pretty white. But don't worry if it's not. The color depends of how fresh are the roe and the type of fish. Carp roe (like i used) are kind of red so my salad came a little pink. Pike roe are whiter so your salad will be whiter.
- I didn't add salt because the roe were already pretty salty.